41 Portland Place

Designed by James Adam in 1773, 41 Portland Place was a private home until 1939. During the Second World War the house remained standing while surrounding buildings were raised to the ground during the London Blitz. The Ciba/Novartis Foundation moved into 41 Portland Place in 1947; and for over 50 years hosted prestigious scientific events attended by some of the greatest medical scientists of the last century. In October 2010, after a £5M refurbishment, the building started a new chapter in its history as the home of the Academy of Medical Sciences. Profits generated through venue hire of 41 Portland Place are used to fund activities run by the Academy to ensure research improves health.

Address: 41 Portland Place, London, W1B 1QH

Type: Society or Institute; Town House

GIVE THIS VENUE A SHOUT

Spaces

  • icon1 Number of Spaces 11
  • icon7 Reception 350
  • icon10 Theatre Style 80
  • Select Space 38
  • icon15 Dinner 80
  • icon4 Whole Venue 350
  • icon16 Number of Roof Terraces 1
  • icon3 Roof Terrace Capacity 60
  • icon6 Number of Outdoor Spaces 1
  • icon9 Outdoor Spaces Capacity 60
  • Buzzwords

    Academic; Georgian; Grade II listed; Medicine; Science

Copyright Shout About London